You’ve likely come across the term “vape mod” while researching vaporizers. Although less common in cannabis, vape mods typically grant you more personalized control, albeit with a significant learning curve. If you’ve considered purchasing a vape mod, this guide will introduce you to these advanced devices as well as provide some alternatives.
What is a vape mod?
Common throughout the world of electronic vaporizers, mods are larger devices used to amplify vapor production. While the name suggests that they are attachments or upgrades to an existing vaporizer, they are actually standalone devices. Typically box-like in appearance, they tend to support a larger capacity for cannabis material and offer enhanced performance over smaller vapes.
Vape mods include functionality that is supposed to enhance vapor flavor, quality, and production. Basically, if you want bigger clouds with more flavor, a vape mod might be the right for you. These devices do present a more significant learning curve, so it’s important to fully understand their capabilities before buying one.
What are other terms for a vape mod?
When researching vape mods, you might also come across the terms “advanced portable vaporizer” or “box mods.” Essentially, these are synonyms. Both refer to devices that are larger in size and capacity, as well as more complex than their simpler vape counterparts. As the word “advanced” suggests, these types of devices are only recommended if you are already familiar with vaping and want something more customizable.
What makes vape mods different?
There are several key differences between a vape mod and a typical portable vaporizer. Vape mods tend to have:
- Bigger batteries: The larger batteries inside a vape mod are essential to their increased performance and vapor production. Most portable vaporizers rely on standard 18650 lithium-ion batteries. Vape mods can support larger batteries, including the 20700, 21700, and 26650 batteries.
- Detailed LCD screens: Due to their larger size and battery, vape mods often have bigger screens than other portable vaporizers. These screens offer insights into your temperature setting and battery life.
- Enhanced vapor flavor: In addition to the denser clouds you can expect from a box mod, many advanced portable vaporizers offer enhanced vapor flavor as well. Vape mods are renown for their ability to promote the most flavorful experience.
- Customizable coils and tanks: If you’re vaping concentrate material, a vape mod offers a highly personalized experience. A component like a compatible coil can be swapped out at will, allowing you to more finely control temperature.
It’s worth noting that these differences are not universal. Given the customizable nature of vape mods, their components will vary depending on the desired experience and personal preference. For example, some coils grant you expanded control over temperature, while battery type will determine power output. These types of decisions will come with experience and time.
Is a vape mod right for me?
Vape mods require an intimate understanding of vaporizers and how they work. These advanced portable vaporizers can essentially make manual all the settings and controls that are automatic with other vapes, so they are more complex.
Controlling temperature with a box mod means more than selecting the right setting in degrees. Instead, you can choose the specific level of power delivered to the heating element. That means translating wattage, ohms, and voltage into the appropriate vape experience.
- Wattage: Wattage refers to the electrical power your battery is capable of outputting to the heating element in your device. Generally speaking, the higher the wattage, the higher the vapor production. To create dense clouds of vapor with cannabis concentrates, a box mod should at least put out about 150 watts. Higher wattage will drain your battery more quickly.
- Ohms: The measurement of Ohms, represented by the Omega symbol, refers to the resistance of your coil or heating element. Generally, the lower the Ohms, the more powerful the coil. Understanding the resistance of your coil is key to selecting the correct wattage needed to heat your vaporizer.
- Voltage: Voltage is what makes an electrical charge move. Think of voltage as pressure. If your battery can achieve a high wattage output at low voltage, that means it is an efficient battery. If it requires a higher voltage output at the same wattage, it is less efficient. Understanding the relationship between wattage and voltage goes a long way in explaining battery life.
Another key consideration is understanding how well your box mod is designed to work with cannabis concentrates. Not all box mods work well with cannabis, and could require a higher wattage to vaporize effectively.
What alternatives are there to vape mods?
Using a box mod is all about identifying your personal preferences and then setting the conditions to result in your ideal vaping experience. Many portable vaporizers can be used to meet your needs without the complexity involved in selecting and using a vape mod.
For example, portable vaporizers like the PAX offer the ability to vaporize both dry herb and concentrate, as well as the ability to control temperature via different modes that range from 360 - 420 degrees Fahrenheit. These modes grant even further control over your sessions, whether you want to boost vapor production, enhance the flavor of your material, or use your vaporizer stealthily in public.You can have a similar sessions with less overall effort.
If you find that your portable vaporizer simply no longer meets your needs, it might be time to check out a a box mod.
Vape mods offer a customized, yet involved, experience
Vape mods allow you to further tailor your session to your liking, making them an extremely useful tool. However, the level of knowledge required to use a vape mod effectively is significantly higher than with other portable vaporizers. If you’re looking for a “set it and forget it” experience, vape mods might be too advanced for you. If you prefer to be in control of all aspects of your session, though, they could be the perfect device.