We’ve teamed up with one of the most sought-after culinary entertainment chefs in the country, Chef Nikki Steward, to develop a recipe inspired by PAX Era’s vibrant Onyx color. Because more life happens at the intersection of cannabis, pure ingredients, and culinary experiences that bring us together.
Onyx Sushi with Forbidden Rice
- 1 cup black rice
- 2 ¼ cups of water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 sheets nori
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 watermelon radish
- ½ of an avocado
- In a medium saucepan, boil rice and 2-1/4 cups water. Turn down heat and simmer for 25-30 mins until water is absorbed and rice is cooked. Set aside.
- Whisk rice vinegar, sugar, salt and 1 tablespoon water in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add vinegar mixture, called Tezu, into the cooked rice and refrigerate.
- Cut carrot, radish or salmon into strips. In a steamer basket over simmering water, steam the carrot and radish or salmon for 1-2 minutes, or until the vegetables soften slightly.
- Using the cooled rice, prepare sushi by laying a piece of plastic wrap over a bamboo sushi mat with the long side of the mat facing you.
- Lay a sheet of nori over the plastic wrap. Spoon ¼ to ½ cup rice over nori and spread into a thin layer over the nori from left to right, leaving a 2-inch edge on the right side.
- Place 1/6th of the carrot and radish pieces 1-1/2 inches from the left, making a line of vegetables 3-4 pieces wide.
- Roll from left to right using the bamboo to keep the shape. Seal the roll by moistening the right edge of nori with fingers dipped in water.
- Cut the roll into six pieces. Serve with soy sauce, tamari and pickled ginger.
About Chef Nikki
Chef Nikki Steward, creator of The High-End Affair, is one of the most sought-after culinary entertainment chefs in the country. As a culinary artist, she has prepared gastronomical experiences for corporate leaders, celebrities, athletes and social influencers—including Snoop Dogg, DJ Khaled, Naomi Campbell and more.
Having studied pharmaceutical sciences at The Ohio State University, Chef Nikki incorporates the importance of healthy eating within her culinary experiences, providing hands-on instructions on how to prepare and maintain healthy eating habits with combinations of fresh, local, organic produce and healing properties of superfoods.Chef Nikki has mastered the art of cannabis, cuisine and conversation.